Today, August 12, marks FreshAddress’s 15th birthday. We are thrilled to be able to announce this milestone and we hope that you can join in the festivities with our contest and on Twitter with the hashtag #Happy15FA! Visit freshaddress.com/happy15fa to learn more.
To celebrate, here are 15 things you didn’t know about email!
- The most common email password is 123456… not so safe, is it?
- The @, or “at sign” is called apestaart, or “monkey’s tail” in Dutch and chiocciolina, or “small snail” in Italian.
- 247 billion emails are sent every day.
- The first email ever was sent by Ray Tomlinson in late 1971.
- For every $1 spent on email marketing, the average return is $44.25!
- The morse code symbol for the at sign was invented in 2004, and is ● _ _ ● _ ●
- 42% of businesses cite email as one of their most effective lead generation channels.
- The first email from space was sent by the crew of the STS-43 Atlantis in 1991. The used Apple’s AppleLink software and said “Hello Earth! Greetings from the STS-43 Crew. This is the first AppleLink from space. Having a GREAT time, wish you were here… send cryo and RCS! Hasta la vista, baby… we’ll be back!”
- 21% of consumers check their email before breakfast.
- The origins of the term “spam” are disputed (lots of people think it’s from the Monty Python sketch) but it is thought to have started in Multi-User-Dungeons (MUDs), an early form of the “chat room,” in the late 1980s.
- There are over 4.1 billion email accounts worldwide.
- Email is 40 times better at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter.
- The top email client is Apple iPhone, the #2 is Gmail, and #3 is Outlook.
- In 2003, the US implemented the first national standards for sending commercial email with the CAN-SPAM act.
- According to Google trends, email is more popular than Elvis, The Beatles, chocolate, beer, Justin Bieber, and Harry Potter.
Sources: https://www.freshaddress.com/fresh-perspectives-blog/the-history-of-email-infographic-1999-now/, http://mashable.com/2011/01/26/e-mail-facts/, http://mashable.com/2011/01/26/e-mail-facts/, http://www.smartinsights.com/email-marketing/email-communications-strategy/statistics-sources-for-email-marketing/, http://blog.capterra.com/statistics-email-marketing-not-dead/, http://www.business2community.com/email-marketing/10-amazing-email-marketing-statistics-2014-0920030#!bB770v, http://www.email-marketing-reports.com/iland/2011/12/email-more-popular-than-beer-and-other-fun-facts.html