A special thanks to Adobe Systems for hosting, FreshAddress, Inc. for co-sponsoring and David Daniels from The Relevancy Group for moderating the event.
Here’s what we learned from the eec Meet-up in Newton, MA:
1. Analytics & Attribution:
Improving response attribution is a top priority for marketers in 2016. How much success they will have remains to be seen. Marketers have a few major hurdles to overcome here. They include:
- Poor Marketing/IT collaboration. This unnecessary chasm prevents many organizations from unlocking the true power of their database. If marketing can’t access the data, they can’t act on it!
- Failing to find a middle ground. Some organizations go too simple and fail to unlock the benefits. Others go too complex and get mired in their attribution model. Both paths lead to failure.
- Data quality. Marketers capture a ton of bad email addresses on sign-up forms, etc. Without a clean address up front, marketers fail before they even get started.
Technology to the rescue! Tech is driving a major shift in how companies access data. The emergence of new automated systems is empowering marketers to take the reins. This bodes well for the future of analytics and attribution!
Email marketers are frightened by list churn and dormant subscribers. We don’t blame them! The statistics mentioned at the meetup are alarming:
- 50% to 60% of a marketer’s file can be dormant; and
- 20% to 30% of their list churns each year (100% every 3 years).
Reactivation is a hot topic for marketers. One thing is for sure, there’s no “one-size-fits-all” solution. How marketers define and treat dormant subscribers can vary quite a bit. It all depends on their business model. For example, a high volume, flash-sale retailer is likely to react much faster to inactivity than a company with a 5-10 year sales cycle.
3. Real-Time Data:
Sending the right message to the right person at the right time is the holy grail of email marketing. Real-time data helps marketers do just that. As a result, it’s a major focus for many companies in 2016.
Let’s take a look at why so many companies are excited about real-time data:
- Tremendous ROI: Marketers experience 3 times the return with real-time data. Those were the findings of a 2015 survey of 300 marketers conducted by The Relevancy Group.
- Ease of acquisition:For most marketers, the decision is easy. Log in to a vendor solution, access real-time data, and take action. Or, find an IT manager. Then fight through the red tape and then navigate the labyrinth of data required to find what they need. Enough said?
- Flexibility & Creativity: Access to real-time data (especially mobile data) is a game-changer for marketers. It empowers them to reach customers when they have their attention and are most likely to take action.
eec meet-ups are the perfect place to connect with like-minded professionals who are passionate about email marketing. I strongly encourage anybody who’s considering participating in these events to do so.