FreshAddress is celebrating 20 years in business! What started as a cool idea for keeping in touch with friends online has evolved into so much more. Let’s take a trip down memory lane and see how it all started…
The year was 1999 and I wanted to email an old college friend but didn’t have her current email address. After searching the internet for hours (this was five years before Facebook was founded, folks!) I realized there wasn’t a website that could help me.
Seeing a clear opportunity, I partnered with my friend Bob Mack to develop a solution. We roughed up a design for an email change of address database, came up with the name FreshAddress and registered the domain on May 20, 1999:
Coding away feverishly on our laptops, corporate HQ was my kitchen table in Somerville MA:
When we needed a break, we’d take the short walk to the Thirsty Scholar and have a drink while mulling over our latest challenge. On November 1, 1999, our free email change of address website FreshAddress.com went live!
And a few months later, we were ready to expand the business and we partnered up with Bill Kaplan, an expert in strategic development and business growth.
How We’ve Grown
It’s been a wild and rewarding ride! FreshAddress has evolved into a complete email marketing intelligence company and since our humble beginnings, we’ve:
- Cleaned over 10 billion email addresses for 2,000+ clients, including 25% of the Fortune 100
- Moved into our own office building
- Secured five U.S. patents covering our email hygiene process and our Email Change of Address (ECOA) technology
- Recently completed our 50th consecutive quarter of profitability
- Partnered with private equity firm TZP Growth Partners to accelerate the company’s next phase of growth and innovation.
None of this would be possible without our valued clients, some of whom have been with us since the early days, and to our greatest asset, our people. The future looks bright and we couldn’t do it without you both. Thank you!